The home site of the Round Hill Society, a community group of the residents of Round Hill in Brighton, England. The site contains information about the area, latest news and reflections on life in Round Hill.
Minutes of the RHS meeting of 9th Sept 2019 at 4 Mayo Road (Barbara's)
Present: Barbara, Eva, Kate R, Annie, Miriam, Rob and Stefania. Apols received from: Andrew, Jamie, Kate W, and Jan.
Minutes of the last meeting were summarised and agreed as a true record. There were no matters arising not on the agenda.
The next meeting will be Monday 7th Oct at 51 Upper Lewes Rd (Rob's).
Clean-up on Tuesday 10th: tools received from CityClean and will be taken by Annie to top Catcreep for 6pm, Rob will bring short ladder and long loppers. Good Gym folk (including Stefania) will run in about 6.30 and join us for 30 minutes.
Coffee morning, from 10.30 Saturday 14th at Roundhill pub: Barbara is baking a cake which Kate R will collect. Kate also to boost Facebook publicity.
Jumble Trail 12 to 2pm Sunday 15th: Andrew has circulated map and details of 17 participants. We should print out and display map on the hill and wider. We will also contact neighbouring groups to ask them to publicise on their Facebook pages - Rob to Barry Hughes (Sylvan Hall), Kate R for Lewes Rd and DRARA, Annie for Hanover, Miriam for 5-ways. Will Andrew follow up, after the event, to see if any participant would like to make a donation to RHS?
Playsafe and Bookswop, 3 to 5pm Sunday 15th: Miriam will have 2 tables for the books (Rob and Barbara), already has 70 books, more promised. Proposes we swop initially, but sell later. Location at N end Mayo Rd. Barbara doing tea, Annie providing extension lead.
Our Constitution in light of Jane and Dominic's scheme: J&D hope to raise cash, if its done under RHS banner, then committee must be aware. It is proposed that a new account be opened with Jane and Dominic and one RHS committee person as signatories, all transactions to be signed by RHS committee person and either Jane or Dominic. Annie has been reading Constitution to see if it supports such action, and proposes a few small amendments to emphasise the greening aspect. During the discussion miriam suggested that some of the wording is too 'legalese' for comfort, and she offered to simplify without changing the sense. All changes will need the approval of members at the Annual Social Gathering on 16th October, but we will need to see and agree at next committee meeting on 7th October.
Greetings Cards selection: Rob brought 4 basis options which were discussed. The Hare and Moon image fell short, but 2 others were suggested. These have been sent to all committee members for a final decision. Proposed print run of 400 each of 4 images, back to carry RHS logo and simple strapline thanking those who offered their photographs for these cards. Eva will approach the phonebox house seeking their support. One Digital estimate suggests that a pack of 8 cards (2 of each design) will cost under £2. If we can sell at £5 a pack we are covering costs with the 53rd pack sold.
Garden Party 2 to 5.30pm Sunday 22nd Sept, 47 Rich Rd: We will provide makings for tea, coffee and squash, and some cake in return for donations. Hopefully we can use Jamie's urn and mugs. A poster for the event will be created by Miriam, which Barbara will copy so that folk can collect and put up posters in designated areas of the Hill, after the Playsafe/Bookswop event (where some copies will be available). Eva will put up in Round Hill Road and Street, and Belton Road; Kate R will do Princes Crescent and Crescent Road (seem to be missing Princes Rd Kate, can you complete the circuit?); Annie for Ashdown, D'Aubigny and the E ends of RHC and Rich Rd; Miriam will do Rich Rd from Mayo Rd, Mayo Rd and Wakefield Rd. DON'T know who is doing west end RHC. We agreed we would Person the front door in half hour shifts to ensure people get in and through to the garden easily.
Long Wall tagging and graffiti: Rob needs £31 for paint delivered to Harry (and used by him) - will keep it from advert money, suitably recorded and passed to Barbara. We agreed to sign up for paint from the Council's soon to be active community anti-tagging scheme. Pete West (returned from holiday) is seeking paint from Rachel Chasseaud for us.
Annual Social Event 6.30 - 8.30pm Wednesday 16th Oct at Rich House: We have acccess from 6 and should be there to set up. Miriam will do another poster (for distribution from garden party date) outlining programme and seeking attendees. Items to include are: Dominic and Jane's exhibition/presentation on greening spaces, including chance to enroll as volunteer gardeners; Free Raffle (Eva will try to source prizes); tea, coffee and cake; election of committee and need for new committee members (chair and treasurer); bring issues you want to raise with community and (hopefully) our Councillor(s).
Any other Business: Fire at WTS - discuss at Community meeting? Greens seeking meeting with Veolia. Tina Groom's sudden death: Chris has said the funeral will be 2pm Thurs 19th Sept at the Downs Crematorium, all welcome. Chris, Tina and their son Ashley were instumental in preparing, collecting, levelling and filling the 4 large planters at the ends of Round Hill Crescent. Reporter delivery: Some delays due to Kate W's heavy habitat survey timetable, and we need a replacement for a lady in Crescent Rd who is leaving the area. Both Stefania and Eva have offered to take a round. The question was raised - whether Carelet gets delivery, check with the deliverer? General Hospital threat to many smaller good buildings and flint walls as site clearance around the one listed building is proposed, with much, tall newbuild for apartments. No conversions beyond listed building. Guided walk proposed to see the variety and quality of buildings and settings.
Meeting closed at 9.45pm.This page was last updated by Ted on 08-Jun-2021