The home site of the Round Hill Society, a community group of the residents of Round Hill in Brighton, England. The site contains information about the area, latest news and reflections on life in Round Hill.
Practise using the Census data site e.g. study of D'Aubigny Road by entering known names taken from the list (by street) below.
You will gather data on everybody living in D'Aubigny Road in 1891, including servants.
A known resident is S MUSSABINI of 5 Ashdown Rd (born in Kent)
Another is William STRAUGHAN of 4 Ashdown Rd (born in London)
Another is Henry Edwin DAPP of 3 Ashdown Rd (born in Sussex)
Belton Rd (1891)
A known resident is Frederick HYLAND of 10 Belton Rd (born in Monks Horton)
Crescent Rd (1891)
A known resident is Alfred HOOK of 1 Crescent Rd (born in Waldron)
A known resident is James STAPLETON of 2 Crescent Rd (born in Brighton)
A known resident is James TOWNER of 1 D'aubigny Rd (born in Lewes)
A known resident is James DOVEL of 3 D'aubigny Rd (born in Parracombe)
A known resident is Thomas BARBER of 11 D'aubigny Rd (born in Newhaven)
Princes Crescent (1891)
A known resident is William WINYARD of 22 Princes Crescent (born in Brighton)
A known resident is Fanny PYMAN of 1 Princes Rd (born in Suffolk)
Another is Charles SNELLING of 58 Princes Rd (born in Sussex).
Another is Emma ALLNUTT of 33 Princes Rd (born in Bermondsey)
A known resident is William Thomas TIDEY of 10 Richmond Rd (born in Sussex)
Another is Alfred AYLWIN of 14 Richmond Rd (born in Sussex).
Another is James Elpinston COCHRAN of 21 Richmond Rd (born in Sussex)
A known resident is Louisa PRITCHETT of 1 Roundhill Cres (born in Gloucestershire)
Another is Charles John CROSSLEY of 21 Roundhill Cres (born in Sussex).
Another is Joseph ALLFREY of 22 Roundhill Cres (born in Sussex)
Round Hill Rd (1891)
A known resident is John FELLINGHAM of 2 Round Hill Rd (born in Brighton)
Round Hill Street (1891)
A known resident is Richard BERRY of 2 Round Hill Street (born in Ringmer)
Upper Lewes Rd (1891)
A known resident is George LUXFORD of 41 Upper Lewes Rd (born in Uckfield)
Another known resident is Elizabeth SPENCER of 51 Upper Lewes Rd (born in London)
A known resident is Edgar PELLING of 19 Wakefield Rd (born in Sussex)
Another is Charles COX-DAVIS of 15 Wakefield Rd (born in Somerset)
Another is James VIGAR of 4 Wakefield Rd (born in Sussex).
FreeCen also allows you to search the 1871 census, but most of the Victorian houses in Round Hill were built slightly later.
Visit our Local History Research page
Occupants of Round Hill homes 1871:
A known resident is Henry HOLLAMBY of 1 Round Hill Park (a livery stable keeper born in Kent)
Another is Edward TAINSH of 3 Round Hill Park (born in London). He is an author. I wonder what he wrote?
Alfred NIGHTINGALE is the Miller & Corn Chandler at Tower Mill.
George CARRWARDINE lives at 10 Ranelagh Terrace near Shakti Stores. He is a shoemaker.
James NEWMAN lives in Round Hill House (the first house logged as No. 23 Ditchling Rd). Aged 66, he is retired.
George CORNEY (the timber merchant) occupies Warleigh Lodge (No. 23 Ditchling Rd) - the site is now The Downs Infants School.
Thomas and Sarah BURTENSHAW run The Jolly Brewer Public House at 29 Ditchling Rd (now the junction of Florence Place).
A known resident is John IZARD of 31 Round Hill Cres (born in Sussex)
Another is Georgiana F GURMARVENS of 6 Round Hill Cres (born in Kent).
The 1871 occupants of the earlier numbers 1,2 & 3 (on the west side before the renumbering of the street in 1880) include:
Further up the hill on the west side is:
Rose Hill and Round Hill Villas
For locations, see The side by side OS 25 inch 1892-1914 map
These villas were compulsorily purchased by Brighton Corporation between 1936 and 1968 and the current Sylvan Hall was developed. See The weblog of today's Sylvan Hall Residents' Association to learn how the Sylvan Hall Estate came into being in 1850.
[A] WAKEFIELD VILLA Richard EDWARDS (born Hastings). Also known as WOODFIELD LODGE and THE ROOKERY. The 1878 Street Directory identifies 4 Wakefield Road (old street numbering: Sylvan Estate side of the street) as "Wakefield Villa". Demolished in 1951, the current blocks of 2 & 3 storey flats followed.
[C] ROSE HILL COTTAGE John COLBATCH ONIONS (born Shrewsbury) listed under Ditchling Road (also called "THE COTTAGE"), a great deal larger than the name suggests, on the corner of Ditchling Road and Upper Lewes Road.
[D] SYLVAN LODGE George L. CLOWSER (born Middlesex) listed under 1 Upper Lewes Road. Demolished in the mid 1970s. Also known as SYLVAN HALL (from 1923) set back from the junction of Upper Lewes Road and Wakefield Road and located at the end of Canterbury Drive on a site now occupied by flats called The Pines.
Round Hill Park Villas (1871) - click on red links for more info
Situated between Bromley Road and Princes Crescent
1 Round Hill Park Henry HOLLAMBY (Livery Stable Keeper)
2 Round Hill Park Edward WATERMAN (Attorney)
3 Round Hill Park Edward TAINSH (Author)
4 Round Hill Park James L.W.DIXON (Retired Surgeon)
5 Round Hill Park Thomas RUSCOE (No occupation)
6 Round Hill Park William WALKER (Railway Store Keeper)
7 Round Hill Park Amelia E. NEWMAN (Scholar)
8 Round Hill Park Sarah PATEY (No occupation: aged 60)
[These semi-detached villas on the east side of Ditchling Road are now numbered 68 to 80. See Side by side OS 25 inch 1892-1914 map]
1 Ranelagh Road Henry MULLET (coachman)
The Semi-detached Villas on the north side of Richmond Road
1856 Land purchased by The Honourable Robert Bourke and Newnham Winstanley for the construction of these villas.
1859 Ten unfinished villas. It is said that they were intended for the officers at Preston Barracks.
1867 street directory has occupants at Nos. 4, 5 & 6 and houses unfinished.
1869 street directory has occupants at Nos. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11
The 1871 Census, shows Frederick H SCHRODER (General Agent) living with his wife Mary and their 5 sons, 4 daughters and 2 servants at the most easterly of the villas (nos. 16 & 17)
The most westerly villa (nearest to Princes Crescent) was numbered 4 & 5. There was an empty plot (Nos 1,2 & 3) where an extra villa (2 & 3) could have been built, but wasn't.
The most easterly villa, nearest to Mayo Road where the SCHRODER family lived, was numbered 16 & 17. This was renumbered 29 & 31 on 20th April 1881.
The dwelling at No 31 was demolished after World War II to accommodate extensions to the boiler room at Mayo Road Laundry. The laundry was closed in the mid 1980s to make way for residential flats Mayo Court, one wing of which now occupies the whole footprint of the semi-detached villa formerly at 29 & 31.
By 1878, most of the Richmond Road villas were occupied:
empty plot (2 & 3 never built)
4 Mr W.J. BAKEWELL & 5 Mrs FRANCIS
6 Miss TROWBRIDGE & 7 C THOMSON (quarter-master 20th Hussars)
8 Rev E. H. RAINES & 9 Mrs BARNES
10 Mr Dolphin SMITH & 11 W.G. GLANVILLE
12 Rev W. H. CAVE-BROWNE & 13 Mr P.O. RICHARDS
empty plot (14 & 15 never built)
16 & 17 Frederick H SCHRODER (General Agent)
Note that the above villas were re-numbered on 20th April 1881:
4 & 5 become 5 & 7; 6 & 7 become 9 & 11; 8 & 9 become 13 & 15; 10 & 11 become 17 & 19; 12 & 13 become 21 & 23; 14 & 15 empty plot become 25 & 27 empty plot; 16 & 17 become 29 & 31.
FIVE out of the SIX semi detached villas survive since 29 & 31 now replaced by a wing of Mayo Court. Mayo Laundry closed down, giving way to a 32 flat development, in the mid 1980s.
The empty plots, where villas were never built, have long been filled by smaller houses.This page was last updated by Ted on 21-Sep-2020