Gardens & wildlife

RHS Minutes 2019-07-09

Minutes of RHS meeting 9th July 2019 at 8 D'Aubigny Road.


Present and apologies: Annie, Andrew, Jan, Vivien, Rob, Eva, Barbara, Kate R, Miriam, Kate W.  Plus guests Dominic Furlong and Jane Power.  No apologies received.


We started with our guests who brought a display about their idea for creating three green spaces where people can relax and enjoy the location on Round Hill: 

On the extensive pavement beside Ditchling Road bus stop,

Onto Crescent Road where it meets Princes Crescent and

At the existing road closure on Richmond Road.

The first site is being abused by motorists who are using the pavement as a carparking area.  Max and Rosi (Roundhill pub) are keen to see the space improved and willing to help. 

The second site has been discussed previously because the very wide road can be hazardous to cross.

The last site is already planted but might be enhanced and would benefit from somewhere to sit (perhaps lockable folding seats to allow them to be unusable at night).

Simon Bannister (Env. Improvement Officer, BHCC) has been to look at the sites and hear the ideas and is supportive of all three, and has put Dominic and Jane in touch with a highways officer who will need to be supportive.  Essentially temporary raised beds seem most likely to find approval, perhaps timber or rock-filled wire baskets (Gabions), some seating, simple low structures for children to use, and planting for habitat/wildlife/bees.  We quickly added bug hotels, bike racks/storage, book swap cabinet and electric car charging points and drinking fountains to the wish list.

We offered wholehearted support and discussed the importance of involving the community, getting their blessing and ideally active support - from professional design skills to sturdy labour.  Funding will be another challenge.  Mention was made of the £200,000 for street trees and greening, approved by the Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee on 25th June.


Minutes of last meeting were agreed unamended.


The date for next meeting will be decided by doodlepoll as 2 members had forgotten their diaries.


Dog Show 28th July: Jan has started publicity, Miriam will provide electricity, Eva has a friend (Ruth Hill) who trains dogs and might be willing to get involved, Jan wants to involve Henry and Sandy, Barbara will source rosettes.  Jan seemed assured that all was going to plan.


September Reporter: 

Dog Show and Playsafe IF someone takes pictures and notes what happened (Rob is away).

Eva's piece on places to take kids.

Jane and Dominic's scheme - mentioning fundraising

Annie's piece on the need for planning permission before making certain exterior alterations in a Conservation Area.

AGM advance notice - Pavilions evening 16th or 23rd October.

Advent Windows, halloween Playsafe and Carol Singing date (Wednesday 18th December)

Welcome to new student residents, and info on living on Round Hill

Update on electric car charging points (Andrew to investigate)

Publicity for Rob's guided walks - 21st and 22nd September - mentioning fundraising fo Plaque.

Garden party info

Jumble trail on Sunday 15th September playsafe/bookswap.


20th Anniversary events:

Jumble Trail - Andrew taking lead, we agreed to hold it from noon to 2pm on same day as  Playsafe/bookswap (3 to 5pm). Miriam will organise Facebook publicity soon, and generate map of addresses taking part.  Mention its part of our 20th Anniversary celebrations, and there will be an opportunity to make a voluntary donation to society general funds after the event (no pressure).


Playsafe/Bookswap Sunday 15th September - Barbara and Rob have additional tables for the swap part. Kate R will check Jamie's intended role in the event.  Miriam happy to be involved, can store books left until Annie/Andrew take to charity shop.


Garden Party - Is Jamie hosting it?  Ideally Sunday 22nd September.  Jan can host if Jamie cannot.


Cards - No more looking for images beyond ourselves.  Send what we have to Andrew.  Advent windows would be good for 1 or 2 cards, but other local images for up to 4 more.  Vivien will ask Barry about printing quality requirements.


Annual Community Get-together:  At Pavilions on an evening, either 16th or 23rd October, with a similar format and agenda to last year.  Annie will confirm a date soon.


Cemetery Open Day: This Saturday 13th July with a range of events.


KempTown Branch line 150th anniversary celebration at the Patch 3pm to 10 pm on 21st September.  A Heritage Open Day event, with projected images.



Badgers have been spotted Carlyle St/Elm Grove area, on more than one occassion.


Community Gym people will attend and cut back encroaching vegetation for 30 minutes at around 6.30pm on Community Clean-up day Tuesday 10th September.  If we can take extra shears, secatuers and loppers, and have bags for them to put stuff into.


Jan has £10 for Blue Plaque fund from a near neighbour, when Rob gets it he will write thanking Annie and John, 52 (?) Rich Rd.


We should register to be part of next years swift watch.  Annie is holding the record of 10-11 seen on evening of Monday 8th July.


Next Roundhill Coffee Morning to be Saturday 7th September.


Co-apt letter re noisy house on Mayo Rd mentioned on Facebook.  I have written Annie, Barbara and Miriam next but do not know why. It was getting late.


Magpie has reduced the number of plastic types it accepts, no flexible film, and they have to pay to have some others taken.  They are requesting cans as this earns them cash to pay the plastics recyclers.


Meeting closed at 10pm.


Return to the list of RHS MINUTES on our Committee Page

This page was last updated by Ted on 31-Jul-2019
(Registered users | Amend this page)
Gardens & wildlife