Home
About
Community
Planning
Gardens & wildlife
History
Links

RHS Minutes 2020-01-21

Minutes of RHS meeting of 21st Jan 2020 at Jan's, 8pm.

Present: Jan Curry, Andrew Partington, Eva Wendler, Miriam Stephens, Kate Wolstenholme, Rob Stephenson, Jo Alexander, Jane Davey, Stefania Rosso.

Apologies: Barbara Harris, Kate Rice, Jamie Aitchison.

Minutes of Dec meeting: Summarised by Miriam, who raised matters arising a necessary: Miriam WILL write thanking Dominic for presenting our case re Veolia Fire/ their very presence in this urban area to the Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee. He has since attended a veolia Community Liaison meeting where the promise of a community meeting was repeated - watch this space.

Seasonal Singing money (£166+ pennies) has been sent to FareShare by Andrew.

Jan will talk to Ted about our desires re RHS website and its future, but first Miriam will outline the elements in an e-mail to Jan as guidance. There are lots of parts to this issue, and we will need help if we are to own and manage a website for the Society and preserve all teh existing content.

Rob WILL pursue new freeholders of 101 Round Hill Crescent re blue plaque on the house.

Next meeting: will be on Tuesday 17th March at 1) Eva's or 2) Miriam's.

Pavilions recent vandalism by gathered youths - the issue first reported by them to Annie was outlined to the committee. It has been circulated so that anyone with information can pass it to them.

Greening project update: Jane and Dominic have received £1000 from the Chalkcliff Trust, but have encountered a lack of support for bus shelter green roof. Jane's 'egg club' will help by giving 10p per box of eggs to the campaign. Eva will take lead on getting regular updates for us, after Miriam has spoken to Dom/Jane of our desires.

Nature 2020 - Andrew is concerned that some of the requirements of participating projects might be beyond our capacity, but we will test this by submitting a scheme or two - meanwhile Rob will e-mail them outlining the kinds of things we are considering and see what response we get. We discussed other ideas, like badging the greening project and planter management as nature2020 (will surely depend on what is planted, and its value to wildlife), seed bombs and solitary bee nest site creation at Playsafe, an Equinox nature2020 Window display event for 20th March (celebrate your local wildlife observations in a window display), planting 20 trees in gardens of Round Hill and making/placing nest boxes within Round Hill.

Jan told us she and Rusty are keen to open their garden for outsiders to visit/ relax/explore or even work in. We discussed starting with 2 dates and providing at least one person to support them. Chose Wednesday 15th April and Saturday 16th May both 2 to 6pm. Will promote this in Reporter. If it goes well then more dates June through September!

We may even make a Round Hill Nature2020 banner!!

Playsafe Planning: Jo Alexander will lead on getting signatures from Mayo Road residents for holding Playsafe road closures - Kate Rice has forms and will offer help on the process. We need to clear Nature2020 events with Kate Rice as well.

Easter egg hunt/Kate W's 'Brighton She Choir' Sainsbury singing/fundraising event: carried over from last meeting we discussed this briefly but felt 1) choc eggs a bit commercial - perhaps egg decorating better? and 2) need Jamie if his garden is to be central to plan. Kate W will speak to choir about the idea in principle.

Website progress: mentioned in 'matters arising', above, we discussed the gamut of issues and our limitations once more. Must await conversation with Ted.

Any Other Business: 1 - Toad crossing support pack being created by Kate W. Friends of Roundhill googlegroup will be asked for help. Reporter will promote activity. Nearby catcreep residents will be informed of what is to happen. kate W may offer talk during migratory period. 2 - There is more dog mess appearing so we need small stencil and spray paint - Eva will ask Sandy if she has them. Jo Alexander is keen to act. Rob also has both A4 and A5 posters if wanted. Jan C will chase Council about a second poo-bin on fence on N side Princes Road. 3 - Eva is keen to promote bees and beekeeping, has heard of a Worthing scheme. Kate W mentioned Dave Goulson's (UoS bee academic) new book on need for bee-friendly plants (nectar across seasons). 4 - We are all invited to attend the unveiling of a blue plaque to Edward Bransfield - first to see and chart part of Antarctica. Thursday 30th January 11.30 at 11 Clifton Hill. 5 - Please can ALL COMMITTEE members provide Miriam with headshot and short line about themselves for inclusion in next Reporter (some have already complied).

Return to the list of RHS MINUTES on our Committee Page

This page was last updated by Ted on 08-Jun-2021
(Registered users | Amend this page)
Home
About
Community
Planning
Gardens & wildlife
History
Links