The home site of the Round Hill Society, a community group of the residents of Round Hill in Brighton, England. The site contains information about the area, latest news and reflections on life in Round Hill.
D'AUBIGNY ROAD (renumbered on 20th April 1881)
There are TWO views on how D'Aubigny Road got its name.
 According to Suzanne Hinton's research, which seems very thorough, the street was named after the 5th Duke of Richmond, Charles Gordon Lennox (1791-1860) see his Wikipedia Profile, who also happened to be the Duke of D'Aubigny (See Wikipedia article linking the dukedoms of Richmond, Lennox and D'Aubigny).
[The dukedom of D'Aubigny was in the peerage of France]
This first view seems much more likely than the second, since in Round Hill as well as D'Aubigny Road, we have Richmond Road. Moreover, the Cat Creep was called Lennox Road from 1859 until 1900 when steps were built and it became Lennox Passage. The name Lennox has long fallen into disuse and we call it the Cat Creep.
According to the above source:
D'AUBIGNY ROAD was named after William D'Aubigny, first Earl of Arundel.
William D'Aubigny died in 1176. He was married to Adeliza of Louvain (d. 1151), the widow of Henry I.
See William D'Aubigny's Wikipedia profile
The title was bestowed on William by King Stephen of England (b1092-d1135) see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_of_England
During William's lifetime the title "Earl of Sussex" (which later fell into disuse) went together with "Earl of Arundel".
Use of the name D'AUBIGNÉ suggests French connections.
One of the first houses to be built in D'Aubigny Road was Ann Light's house (now numbered 4 D'Aubigny Road). It has always been the end of terrace house (there never was a number 2), but in its early days it was known as D'Aubigné Villa.
D'AUBIGNÉ VILLA was built in July 1878 by John Towner and Denham for George and Jane Wymark. George was a successful tea merchant.
The Wymarks appear as a retired couple in the 1891 Census:This page was last updated by Ted on 08-Sep-2020