Home
About
Community
Planning
Gardens & wildlife
History
Links

Richmond Road in 1891

PRINCES CRESCENT meets these roads HERE ->

Continues into WAKEFIELD ROAD

formerly LENNOX ROAD (1860s), to become LENNOX PASSAGE (when steps laid in 1900) and known now as THE CATS CREEP leading to ROUND HILL CRESCENT.

Click on the picture to relate history to conservation today:
Cat Creep

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Properties in Richmond Road 128 years ago

p>Practise using the Census data site e.g. study of Richmond Road

  1. At http://www.freecen.org.uk complete these fields ONLY:
    • Surname: Tidey
    • First name: William Thomas
    • Census County: Sussex
    • Census Place: Brighton
    • Census Year: 1891
  2. Click the SEARCH button
  3. Select for all the information
  4. Continue viewing data for more households in the same street (or one nearby) by clicking the or buttons

You will gather data on everybody living in Richmond Road in 1891, including servants.

A known resident is William Thomas TIDEY of 10 Richmond Rd (born in Sussex)

Another is Alfred AYLWIN  of 14 Richmond Rd (born in Sussex).

Another is James Elpinston COCHRAN of 21 Richmond Rd (born in Sussex)

The lets you fill in the street name. Take care to shorten "Richmond Road" to "Richmond Rd" (as above). The birth county is optional.

East Side runs from 2 to 130

2-8 empty; 58 & 60 & 130 empty

West Side runs fron 1 to 53

1 & 3 empty

Mayo Road  is between 31 and 31A

Ashdown Road is between 94 & 96

 

The coal wharfs (south end of Richmond Rd)

History of James Corrall - Coal Merchant

106    LEWES ROAD STATION WHARF    
106        
108    Corral and Co. coal merchants    
108        
108        
110    Lodder & Son, coal merchants    
112        
114-16        
118    Ricket, Smith & Co Ltd coal merchants    
120        
122        
124    Northern Coal Company    
126        
128        
130 empty   LEWES ROAD RAILWAY STATION    

1897 Map showing the coal sidings on the Kemptown branchline

The map can be dragged to reveal adjoining mapping in different directions.

  • Notice that the Kemptown branchline leaves the Brighon to Lewes line at the points just after the Ditchling Road tunnel.

Watch the local freight train cross the points onto the Kemptown branchline on Video.

The signalbox - see picture - was at the far NE corner of the Carelet site.

First stop on the Kemptown branchline was LEWES ROAD STATION at the back of where Richmond House stands now. Notice the coal sidings located between the junction and the station, which provided access to the coal wharfs identified in the above list.

Known occupants of Round Hill homes:

1871

1891

Details of the 15 laundries in Princes Road in 1891
Don't miss Sam Chittenden's play "CLEAN" based in Round Hill

Click here for Free Cen records (1891 & 1871) of Round Hill households (including the villas). 

This page was last updated by Ted on 03-Sep-2020
Home
About
Community
Planning
Gardens & wildlife
History
Links